M O V E / mu:v /

verb

1.  go in a specified direction or manner; change position.

2.  make progress; develop in a particular manner or direction.

noun

1. a change of place, position, or state.

M O V E philosophy

THE BODY KNOWS THE SCORE

Today, many of us have lost connection to our bodies. This deprives us of innate wisdom - who we are, what we want to do and who we want to be. Movement is our most powerful tool to reconnect and listen to our true selves

INTERGENERATIONAL

Movement is essential whatever our age and movement can bring together people of different ages. We need more spaces where a diverse range of ages meet and community is built

TIME FOR COMMENSALITY

Creating space for the life-affirming ritual of sharing a meal.  

WHY MOVE YOUR DNA

Movement includes everything the body does including snapping your fingers, breathing, bicycling, blinking and typing.

Are you getting the quality and quantity of movement nutrition necessary for healthy human function?

You might exercise regularly but are still movement starved.

You can be both active and sedentary .

For example, if you exercise an hour a day, 7 days a week – that is only 420 min of a possible 10,080 min - 4%. The rest of the time, 96% - exercisers and non exercise are alike – sitting using the same office chair,  watching the TV, working on your computer.

The movements essential for the development and maintenance of the body are the same as when we lived as hunter-gatherers – walking for miles, squatting, climbing and using our arms for more than just typing on keyboards

These movements, natural to humans for thousands of years are essential to physical processes like digestion, circulation and our DNA’s expression.

Therefore, whether you exercise or not, many of us share the same issues – the ‘affluent ailments’ including osteoarthritis, heart disease & pelvic floor disorder

Engaging in limited exercise for limited time is not going to solve the problems caused by our sedentary lifestyle.

We are starving our muscles, bones and cells.

For the sake of your health, we need a much larger variety of movements’ nutrients, more often.

Text based on video by Katy Bowman, see here

WHY MOVE TO HEAL

As early as 1916, Jung suggested that expressive body movement is one of numerous ways to give form to the unconscious.

From birth, movement directly connects to our development. With each new physical movement; rolling, crawling and walking, the world opens to our perception, triggering new neurons in our brain, thus experiences of learning.

Learning and creating memory is the process of chiselling, modelling, shaping, doing, and redoing our individual brain wiring.  Movement triggers neurons in the brain. When we try a new move, a new neural pathway is formed. These new paths of information flow allow us to think or conceive different ideas in ways we couldn't before those channels existed.

This process of neural plasticity never stops.

By continuing to nurture our curiosity through movement, we support and drive this process.

The practice of movement medicine helps increase the freedom of movement. It's a dance practice with no steps to learn or pressure of performance; instead there is support to find your own dance.